Sailors Who Own a Corsair

Hello Corsair.

Last spring it was a special feeling to me when the first pictures of the new Corsair Dash 750 Mk II were published, because I knew it would soon be MY boat. She was on her way to the “boot” exhibition in Dusseldorf, Germany. After the exhibition I would take her home to the Baltic in Northern Germany by trailer. Of course I had to see her right at her arrival in Germany, so I was there when she arrived at the exhibition ground. The pictures had shown much of the new details, however, it was a most impressive sight when we unpacked and rigged her.

There was one main advantage which I expected – flexibility. Until recently I had been an owner of a 2008 model of the 31UC. However, during the last couple of years, we mostly trailered her the few miles either out of the winter storage or back into it again. Long distance road travel we felt as a challenge. What a change when we took the Dash 750 Mk II back from Dusseldorf to our place. It cannot be said that we “forgot” that the trailer was behind us, however, we managed an average speed of 85 km/h (nearly 55mph) in dense traffic during the 5 ½ hour trip back home.

We had a late start of the season due to persistently cold weather. This also impacted the necessary preparation work like antifouling to the hulls. I bought an 8 hp outboard with electric starter and mounted a small flexible solar panel on the roof top. In late April we were on the water for the first trials. It felt good from the first moment.

From early May to late September we have a series of Wednesday evening races with some 30 to 50 entrants from our area. Monohull owners like to comfort themselves with the thought that what you lose against multihulls on leeward, you win back on windward courses – not necessarily against the Dash! Also the leeward performance gave a nice surprise. Our previous UC31 was conservatively rigged with a 67 sqm gennaker, such that in comparison the North 55 sqm on the Dash gave us a very nice extra pull or alternatively more depth towards the leeward marker. Great!

During the season we have participated in some 20 races and enjoyed most of them. Several times we experienced force 5 to 6 with up to force 7 to 8 gusts, everything worked well and it felt always safe. It must be said that the waters around us are coastal and we are sheltered from too harsh wave action. In summary, I can only give many compliments for the overall performance.

It would not be fair to leave the vast improvements inside the cabin without a comment. Personally I had always accepted the “mouse skin” carpet (visitors’ comment) as the most efficient measure to soundproof the hull. The new gleaming white cabin gives an extra roomy feeling beside being very practical with respect to keeping the surfaces dry and clean.

Thank you Corsair Marine.

Jurgen Z  kindly sharing the last 12 months on his Dash 750 MKII.

Jurgen Z

No more monohull miles since entering the exciting world of Corsair trimaran sailing.

Beginning of October 2013:
In the middle of the usual autumn business frenzy; in our part of the world (i.e. Central Europe) also usually the end of the sailing season – not a real happy time. The phone rings and Werner Stolz (Corsair’s representative in Austria, Germany and Switzerland) announces in his famous well know sailor voice: “He – the Corsair Cruze 970 – has finally arrived; the first one in Europe is here (in Munich). Want to see it? Want to even try it out soon?” Well, there is certainly no better way to cheer-up a busy autumn day.

A few weeks later – end of October – Northern Adriatic / Golf of Trieste / Marina Sant’ Andrea:
Meeting Werner and Conny to do the first sailing trials with the brand new Corsair Cruze 970 in Europe. And here he is already in the water, moored at the jetty in the marina. First impression: big boy – bigger floats, very nice raised side seatings (the two benches inspired by the Corsair 37), which very quickly become my favourite cockpit place – in the harbour as well as when sailing. Basically the usable cockpit space has doubled compared to the traditional 31. Inside: very comfortable headroom in the new saloon. I’m 1,88 m (74 in) tall and can move around easily without any issues. The new white liner finish gives a fresh and light ambience. Way more space in the pantry. And here is another new thing: The Cruze 970 has a two burner propane stove (no more spirit required for cooking). There is a decent toilet between the saloon and the forward cabin. I love sailing trimarans (not swimming apartments), so I don’t need a grand toilet / bath. On the other hand, a little privacy is appreciated even on a regatta when the ladies are not aboard. There is proper space for a big cooler-box between the pantry and the aft cabin. The aft cabin is quite huge – we dubbed it “the suite”.

So far so good, now what about sailing? Will the slightly shorter mast (compared to the 31) be an issue? How will the Cruze 970 handle?
Good strong sailing wind: ENE, 5 to 6 Bft in the morning, this wind is called “Bora” in the Adriatic and can be quite nasty, but we are lucky today as the wind is decreasing during the course of the day. The upside: the Bora clears the sky and we are enjoying some late October sunshine when leaving the marina and crossing the lagoon of Grado on the way to the open sea. Werner prefers to stay on the safe side of things on these very first few miles and we put two reefs in the mainsail. Very easy and comfortable mainsail handling (the slightly shorter mast has obviously its benefits). Upon leaving the lagoon the typical short and steep Northern Adriatic waves greet us. Course SE to beautiful Piran on the Slovenian side; a close hauled tack. The traditional 31 could be sometimes demanding in this conditions, but the extra buoyancy in the new floats are providing us with more comfort, more upright sailing. All in all, we feel totally fine, confident and in control.

And what about the speed and the shorter mast?
Well, 2nd reef, close hauled tack: speed over ground easily in the double digits (mostly between 11 to 13 knots). The more powerful mainsail in combination with the more upright mode of sailing works beautifully. The new Corsair Cruze 970 feels as nimble and fast as the 31. The hull and the new floats handle the short nasty waves gracefully. We are flying to Slovenia.

But no time to visit Piran, just a brief snack while in the more protected waters of the bay of Piran and then directly back to Italy. Wind is decreasing, hence we shake out the reefs and early afternoon we are sailing back to Italy with full mainsail. 2/3rds on the way back we meet Conny’s brother, who has just picked up his new yacht (a sleek 35ft French monohull). They are probably 2 miles ahead. We are closing the distance swiftly and then the magic moment: the Cruze 970 passes the other boat at close quarters just 2 boat-lengths to leeward of the French monohull racer. Bad air from the boat to windward; not an issue. Big smiles all around; at least on our wonderful Cruze 970 ;-)  What a perfect way to end the first day of sailing.

Day 2 – November 1st:
Wind has been further decreasing. It’s now quite soft; just 1-2 Bft. Great contrast to day 1. How will the Cruze 970 handle in the lighter wind conditions? Will the few more kilos vs. the 31st be an issue? All the other sail boats are either motoring or not moving at all. It is a beautiful autumn day – magic soft sun light, the sea is sparkling like a diamond. And the Cruze 970 moves gracefully with virtually no wind on course WSW to Lignano. Today we have two additional guests from Italy, who also can’t wait to experience the latest Corsair model. Everyone is very happy. Easy autumn sailing under a beautiful sky, while all the other sailing boats seemed to be glued on the spot.

My personal summary:
The Cruze 970 has stayed true to its family DNA and kept all the qualities of the 31st. It is a true sporty trimaran – as nimble and fast as its older siblings –, but with improved float design, more powerful mainsail and a more comfortable interior. Welcome to the next level!
In times like these also important to note: the Corsair Cruze 970 comes with main and foresail and has an excellent price / value relationship; i.e. about 1/3rd less costly than another fairly new 32 feet trimaran. So if you have a chance, go for it! I definitely will (the earlier, the better).

The author:
Andreas, 47 years old living in Vienna (Austria), was introduced to trimaran sailing by Werner Stolz’s trimaran academy a couple of years back. Since then Andreas had the privilege and pleasure to sail the whole Corsair trimaran range (from the 750 to the 37). No more monohull miles have been logged since entering the exciting world of Corsair trimaran sailing.

Andreas

Vienna (Austria)

My experience with Corsair is with sailing a Sprint 750.

Iʼve sailed the Corsair Nationals several times on different boats but when Spring came, the Sprint 750 looked like the right boat for me and in fact, it was a good fit!

Iʼve been Sailing for 33 years and have sailed a lot of monohulls, but I’ve always been a small boat sailor.

I sailed Lasers, Thistles and Sail boards. The Corsair was my first big boat and what I really liked about it was; it’s a fun boat to race but we also use it for a lot of day sailing and weekend cruising. It’s a really great multitasking boat!

80% of the sailing I do is racing between the Corsair and the A class
catamarans. My girlfriend races with me. We do a lot of racing but we’re beginning to do a lot more cruising. On Memorial Day weekend we’re planning to do a four day cruising jaunt on the Sprint from Lake Pontchartrain in SE Louisiana to the Pacific Gulf coast. It’s nearly 80 miles of sailing through the barrier islands with the Sprint and we’re really looking forward to it. So, we’re psyched about doing that. The Sprint 750 is such a great boat to go ripping around on and get from point a to point b really fast.

We really love the boat for that and it’s a lot of fun!

I think the best thing about owning a Corsair is you’re owning, to me, about the most fun boat you can own. You can race it, you can cruise it. You can do anything with it and you don’t necessarily need crew but you can race a Sprint with two or three people.

A lot of people are intimidated by the prices of boats these days but what ‘sealed the deal’ for me was that the boats hold their value so well. If something happened and we found we couldn’t sail the boat for any reason we always know that we have a very, very safe investment, and in the boating world, I’ve never seen a boat hold their value like a Corsair
Trimaran does. So yes it’s a very great investment in terms of the fun and the overall value of the entire package.

Bob Hodges

Corsair Owner (Sprint 750)

Some of the best sailing I’ve done in my entire life and I’m very new to Trimaran racing or multihull racing.  It’s a blast, I cannot think of anything better than sailing a Corsair Trimaran.

I have a long history as a dingy sailor. Iʼve sailed lightnings, sunfish, snypes, J-22, Iʼm currently involved in international canoes and then all of a sudden Iʼm dong this Trimaran thing and it is way more fun than anything Iʼve ever done.

Answer 3:

My multihull experience goes way back. I was the Olympic Boat right for US Sailing but I became involved in that through friends of mine, John Lovell and Charley Oggletree who are the Tornado Olympic representatives and I went through their entire twenty year, Olympic debut, their Olympic deal spanned twenty years so I was very involved in their campaign from the very beginning and I became familiar with multihulls and what makes them go and what they wanted.  In becoming involved with Bob and Corsair it was not something totally new but I had never really experienced the actual racing part of it and that’s how it all happened.

The one thing that attracts my attention to the Corsair Trimarans in particular is they are so easy to sail.  In a monohull when the breeze comes on thereʼs all this hiking involved and weʼre leaning way too much, with a Corsair (Sprint 750) it’s pure speed and it’s very comfortable so it’s almost too easy, so I love it.

Iʼve done a lot of competitive sailing in the past and it was always harder to be very

competitive but what I’m finding in this particular class is that it’s good competitive sailing but it’s not physically demanding as some of the other one design classes, the monohull classes.  There’s no hiking involved so to speak, the boats are a lot more stable and the speed is so much different. Today we were doing eleven knots upwind. That’s unheard of by a monohull. So it’s a lot of fun. It’s very easy to do and itʼs not physically demanding.

I’m trying to get my son Andrew more involved in Sailing.  He’s twenty years old and the one design experience that I’ve shared with him in the past has all been monohulls.

I got him hooked on racing trimarans and I think his eyes are open and he’s having a lot of fun.

I think he’s going to reconnect with sailing because of the tri-racing and that to me is great because I’m just trying to push him in the right direction and as a parent I’m never really sure what direction kids want to go in but this really caught his eye.

I think the Corsair family is very attractive to anybody who wants to get involved in sailing, whether its cruising, racing or just playing around. It’s a great deal!

Donovan Brennan

Olympic Boat Right for U.S. Sailing
Corsair Owner (Sprint 750)

The Dash 750 MKII is a really terrific boat because it’s both small enough to make it easy to handle but it has the interior cruising comforts that the bigger boats have, and because of the larger volume floats and the increased stability it appeals to a wider range of sailors.

The Dash750 MKII offers the possibility of going off with your family or just the two of you for a weekend or a week because it has better accommodation.

And you should buy one while you still have a young family because kids grow up faster than you expect and the time to really enjoy sailing with them is when they are young. By the time they are sixteen , seventeen or eighteen they may be developing other interests and you may find they aren’t going to sail with you as much anymore so I would say, ‘buy sooner rather than later is the way to go.’  You won’t regret it.

Of course the great advantages of trimarans and catamarans is the fact that they don’t heal over as much but when the wind pipes up they go forward faster.

They don’t lean to the side like a single hull boat, so in a sense, they are more stable and certainly more comfortable. The ride is more comfortable. They don’t pitch as much as a monohull and people who are prone to sea sickness find that the motion of a trimaran is much easier to deal with than the pronounced pitching of a led keeled single hulled boat.

The Corsairs are probably the most fun boat you could possibly sail and if you’ve only sailed monohulls you need to give yourself the opportunity to try these boats because I would say the majority of people make comments like “where have I been all my life?” when they step on one of these after the 1st test sail and I’ve heard people say that sailing a Corsair trimaran has totally changed their lives and that they’ve returned to a much more active lifestyle after buying a Corsair.  Some people basically rekindle their love of sailing because the excitement factor is so much higher than what they were used to in a monohull.

Don Wigston

Corsair Owner (Dash 750 MKII)